The New India Assurance Company Co. Ltd started operating in 1946 through the New Mercantile Agencies. In 1966, Consequent upon enforcement of a new Insurance Act, The New India Assurance Co.Ltd established full-fledged branches at Port of Spain and San Fernando, and took over the portfolio of “Ruby General” and “Sterling” who consequently withdrew from the market.
The New India Assurance Co (Trinidad & Tobago) Limited was incorporated on 01.02.1976 and started operations as a local Company w.e.f 1st July 1977.
Over the years the local Management team expanded its portfolio within Trinidad by acquiring qualified persons willing to become salespersons, and setting up agencies within the island including the Caribbean islands of Dominica, St. Lucia. St. Marteen and Anguilla
The shareholding of New India, Mumbai at the time of localization in 1983, was reduced from 51% to 40%. In 1998 through additional Capital participation the majority share holding of the New India Assurance Co Ltd, Mumbai was restored.
The Directors, Management and Staff of the The New India Assurance Company(T&T) Limited welcome Mr.Gopalan Srinivasan, Chairman, to the Caribbean during the period 21st - 24th January 2013.